Last month, about the same time as when we were explaining the difference between remodeling and renovating, the Washington Post was busy identifying five new trends for master bathrooms. For those who are consistent readers of our blog (Thank You!), most of these trends will not be too surprising. But, as usual, we felt it necessary to offer our own take, according to what we've found working with hundreds of other Northern Illinois homeowners.
1. Smart Toilets: These devices are certainly media friendly, but the reality of people actually paying for self-cleaning or self-lighting toilets is still stuck predominantly in the single digits in the Midwest. While the notion of seat warmers are appealing to many, especially in January, only our biggest remodeling projects tend to include heated toilet seats.
2. Barn Doors: We know exactly which HGTV reality show raised the popularity of shiplap and barn doors with the American homeowners! And while we've seen them used frequently for closing off dens, offices and children playrooms, the majority folks we talk with each week prefer the security of a solid, locking door for their master bathroom.
3. Free-Standing Tubs: Now here's a debate we can get behind! Actually, we already started the debate at the end of 2017 by asking about Ditching Your Tub in exchange for a Statement Shower. Seems like the only thing we really determined is that people want MORE space for their master bathrooms so they can have both! And while free-standing tubs are certainly popular, our projects show almost twice as many request for larger, statement showers.
4. Mixed Materials: This is absolutely a trend that we've participated with for at least five years now. The trend isn't just about using different types of materials (like porcelain, stone and ceramic), but it's also about metal for your faucetry and even color coordination too.
5. Voice-Controlled Technology: As Google and Amazon fight for voice control of your home, sometimes the bathroom is the last place you might consider adding these new devices, but we've installed plenty of new ceiling fans that were also bluetooth speakers. When tied to your voice-controlled device of choice, you can get your weather forecast, news updates and music soundtrack all while enjoying your morning shower!
If you're ready to turn your master bathroom into a more ideal space that includes some of these latest trends and technologies, do not hesitate to contact Diamond Bath Remodeling today!
Featuring the best of bath remodeling tips